Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 107

Now that Obama has officially won, I'm a little disappointed I didn't go to the Grant Park rally. That said, I am also very comfortable and cozy watching it on television! Instead of going downtown I headed to the gym and worked out my political aggression on the treadmill.

Historically this is an amazing moment. We just elected the first black president of the United States. But really, it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to me. I mean, it was bound to happen in our lifetime, wasn't it? I'm sure it's more of a shocker for our parents and grandparents who lived during the Civil Rights movement, but to us.. this is normal and natural. And I think that's awesome.

Politically, I feel much different about the outcome. The Presidency shouldn't be solely about race or sex. I can't say I'm either Democrat or Republican or Independent or Green or Constitutional or anything. I agree and disagree with qualities of every party and I was a little disappointed with our candidate choices this election. I felt like a lot of young people were hopping on the Obama wagon and not really educating themselves on what he really stands for. On the other hand, I didn't believe Republicans really deserved a win this year, and I certainly didn't want to vote for McCain. In case you're wondering, I am a huge fan of Ron Paul and am still upset he never got the attention he deserved.

So, yeah! Congrats, Obama! I hope you're as great as you promise. And to be honest, I do feel a little bad for McCain. How can that little old man not pull at your heart strings? It'd be like hating your cute but crazy grandpa or old cooky neighbor.

7 comments:

Sarah Zielie said...

Hells yeah GO OBAMA!

Unknown said...

Before yesterday I thought it was definitely possible for the US to elect a black person or a woman, but I wouldn't have said it was a sure thing in our lifetime, as sad as that is. That said, I'm thrilled and proud that it finally happened and I think this will open many doors for all kinds of people in the future.

I've voted whenever possible and I always will, but I'm definitely not a gung-ho politico. For me it's just a matter of choosing the person I disagree with less. We'll never have a perfect candidate, after all. I'm happy that Barack won and I hope he really will deliver on his promises.

I don't feel bad for John McCain, though. Call me a hater, but I think any Republican who ran would have been screwed this time around. People are disappointed with a lot of things in the world right now and want to go in a whole new direction and he just couldn't offer that. Plus he has weird teeth and the double thumbs-up is sooooooo annoying and overdone.

Thus concludes my highly insightful political commentary.

Sara said...

I give McCain credit for never giving up. He had to of known that he was pretty much doomed once the economy took a dive. I believe that he is sincere and he, like Obama, gave a nice speech. Anyone who was a POW for 5 1/2 years deserves my salute.

Sara said...

Oh, I was also going to add that what they showed of Grant Park was amazing. I was teary eyed when Biden's mom came out. I guess I have a soft spot in my heart for old people.

Katie said...

I totally bawled when Biden's mom came out! Actually I cried a little when the whole Obama family came out, I thought that was a really awesome moment.

Ashley said...

I also don't like to identify myself with one party vs. another. I think all politicians are dirty suckers who don't live up to their promises, so it's just a choice of the lesser evil for me. That being said, it was nice to be a part of the winning team this time around and I do think it's exciting to have a fresh young man in office who is actually intelligent and engaging. Let's hope he delivers on his promises, as Brea said, and personally I hope that education in our country gains funding and momentum under Obama (part of the reason for my vote).

Unlike my evil twin, I did feel super bad for McCain (and Palin, who looked so sad through her smile) and thought the sappy concession speech was extremely well-done. I'll admit I cried a little. He IS like a grandpa, Katie! Albeit one who says "my friends" way too much. I used to call the kids that at work, but now when I say it his image comes to mind and it just feels wrong.

Dang, I didn't see Biden's mother come out! I surely would have cried then. Seeing an African American first family on stage was definitely a moment to be remembered, though. Brea and I are both political whizzes, in case you were wondering. I love her closing statement. :)

Ashley said...

Oh, and that's totally true about McCain, Sar. He definitely deserves respect and is probably the most patriotic individual I can think of.